The Sker House Ghosts

The Sker House Ghosts

In this article we will be taking a closer look at Sker House – dating back as far as the 12th century, it is now regarded as one of the most haunted properties in Wales…


History

Sker House started out as a grange property that was built to support the monks of Neath Abbey. This function ended with the dissolution of the monasteries and it eventually ended up being privately owned.

The property’s eight century history is well known to locals due to the amount of despair and bloodshed it has encountered – this dark past has somehow managed to weave it’s way into the very fabric of the building…

Throughout the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, this area of Wales succumbed to the brutal persecution against Catholics. At the time, the Turberville family owned Sker House and they were fierce believers of Catholic ways.

History suggests that the Turberville’s went as far as sheltering and hiding Jesuit priests and allowing Clandestine Masses to take place on the property.

The Turberville’s were able to keep these actions quiet until 1678, when a famous Catholic plot to kill Charles II once again brought persecution into play.

Sker House was eventually raided and a Jesuit priest named Father Philip Evans was arrested and accused of being some sort of ringleader. He was taken straight to Cardiff where he sat through a viciously unfair trail and ended up being publicly executed (He was hung, drawn and quartered).

The head of the Turberville family, Charles, knew the game was finally up. He sold the house and moved abroad to escape the possible repercussions of Evans’s execution.


The R.D. Blackmore Link

The author of the famous book Lorna Doone  R. D. Blackmore, was fascinated by a paranormal legend that was linked to Sker House, and eventually wrote a book on his research entitled The Maid of Sker

A past inhabitant of the house named Elizabeth Williams fell in love with a young carpenter and harpist called Thomas Evans. Unfortunately her father was not exactly ‘bowled over’ by this young commoner.

The young couple eventually devised a plan of escape that failed miserably…

Evans arranged for a coach and horses to arrive late at Elizabeth’s home so they could run away to elope somewhere in England. Unfortunately the arrival of the coach alerted the dog’s at the house and the couple’s plan fell to pieces.

The Maid of Sker

Evans hastily retreated from the area and never returned – leaving Elizabeth to face the wrath of her father on her own.

She was locked up in a tower room with no windows and eventually forced to marry a man she did not love (Thomas Kirkhouse). Elizabeth died after nine years of a loveless marriage to Kirkhouse – locals say she perished due to her broken heart.

Elizabeth’s ghost is one of the most powerful paranormal forces now inhabiting Sker House. Her spirit seems to be stuck inside the windowless room she was held captive in.

Numerous reports claim to have heard her clanking chains and her misty form has materialized in front of visitors on numerous occasions.


The Ghosts

In 2002 a famous documentary crew who worked for the BBC set up inside Sker House to follow the major restorations taking place. Their filming was ruined by high pitched noise that seemed to be coming from the Great Hall area.

A local medium was called in and she informed the filmmakers that something very evil had been disturbed by the renovations taking place on the property. The documentary crew had seen (and heard) enough – they packed up their equipment and refused to return to the location.

Locals also believe that the spirit of a ship’s captain returns to search through Sker house from time to time…

His boat was shipwrecked at Sker Point and he was killed along with his crew. The wreckage was instantly plundered and Elizabeth Williams’s father was accused of taking some of the ship’s items.

He claimed that he was simply gathering these plundered items for safekeeping – away from the common local’s sticky fingers!

Locals now believe that the spirit of the captain returns to Sker House in the hope he will locate his plundered belongings.

If you have any thoughts or opinions on the paranormal activity in Sker House, please leave them in the comment section below.

The Eyam Village Plague Ghosts

The Eyam Village Plague Ghosts

Eyam village, also known as ‘The Plague Village’, was hit hard by the infamous worldwide disease in 1665. The medical condition swept through the small location and ravaged numerous lives, leaving lost souls and confused spirits in it’s wake…


The Plague Village

The plague hit the village in 1665 when a local tailor took a delivery of some materials from a London supplier. The tailor opened the packaging without realising that it was full of disease-carrying fleas.

Within one week from receiving the parcel, the tailor was dead and by the end of September, five more people died.

Twenty more locals died throughout the month of October.

The village slipped into a senseless panic – maybe they should evacuate to a nearby city?

Unfortunately, the locals realised that this would not be possible – they would only end up spreading the plague further.

The villagers eventually agreed to quarantine and cut themselves off from the rest of civilization…even if it meant certain death for them.


The Quarantine 

The surrounding villages and hamlets came together in an attempt to help the doomed villagers of Eyam. They rounded up food and necessities and left them on the outskirts of the village.

The villagers of Eyam would show their appreciation by leaving money in a row of vinegar-filled troughs – they believed that the vinegar would sterilize the coins and make them safe for the outsiders to use.

the doomed villagers of Eyam

The Plague rotted it’s way through the village for the next 18 months, according to the local church records 273 people lost their lives over this period.

Only 83 villagers managed to survive the deadly disease.


The Eyam Village Plague Ghosts

Due to the high number of plague deaths in a short period of time – there have since been many sightings of ghosts and paranormal activity in the area.

One of the most haunted buildings in the village is The Miner’s Arms. Visitors have often reported the sound of footsteps through their bedrooms along with invisible ‘presences’ in the night.

Numerous families have simply packed up and left the building in the middle of the night – too petrified to wait until morning!

The ‘plagued cottages’ area of the village is home to the pleasant faced lady who wears a blue smock – she is reported to awaken people in the middle of the night.

plagued cottages

Eyam Hall was constructed in the village between 1671 and 1676 and ended up being the home of the Wright family.

The ghost of Sarah Mills is said to haunt the hall – a young servant who drowned in the well.

On the top floor of Eyam Hall is a room that is always kept under lock and key. There have been so many paranormal reports linked to this room that the owners have decided to keep it closed off…to everyone.

If you have any thoughts or opinions on the Eyam Village Plague Ghosts, please leave them in the comment section below.

The Blue Bell Hill Ghost

The Blue Bell Hill Ghost

One of the most famous paranormal reports to come out of Kent is that of the Blue Bell Hill ghost – it has been covered by all the top British newspapers and registers many repeat experiences…


The Suicidal Woman

The most famous paranormal entity from this haunted road is that of a woman who chooses to run out in front of motorists late at night. Eyewitness reports claim that she stands still and locks eyes with the driver before being hit by the vehicle.

Once the car hits this female entity she immediately vanishes – No evidence of a collision has ever been found, nor has there ever been a victim found either.

Research into this area points to this paranormal entity being that of a lady who died tragically in 1965, near the bridge over The Old Chatham Road.

She was involved in a two-car collision when transporting three of her friends to a function. Only one of the women travelling in the car survived the crash.

The driver of the car was due to be wed to her childhood sweetheart the following day – many locals believe that it is her ghost that haunts the Blue Bell Hill.


Paranormal Reports Linked to Blue Bell Hill

About four years after the tragic collision, a male driver posted a report that claimed he had seen two female entities walking down the road towards his car. He was on his way home to Rochester, late at night, when he saw two pedestrians walking towards him.

They had a slight light glow to them as they walked along the roadside so the man slowed down to get a better look. As soon as his car decreased in speed the pair of pedestrians vanished into thin air.

Paranormal Reports Linked to Blue Bell Hill

The same man is reported to encountered the same two ghostly pedestrians about 3 months later.

This time they decided to walk in the middle of the road causing the driver to smash straight through them. When he stopped to check on the carnage behind him there was no sign of the two pedestrians he had hit!


The Maurice Goodenough Incident

Maurice Goodenough was a bricklayer from nearby Rochester. Late at night, on the 13th of July, 1974, he was shocked to witness a young girl hurl herself in front of his car as he drove along Blue Bell Hill.

He slammed on his brakes and jumped out of the car to tend to the girl he had hit, she was lying injured at the side of the road.

Having no medical training, Maurice had no idea what to do with the injured girl. He figured moving her would only make matters worse, so he covered her in a blanket from the back of his car and sped off to the nearby police station in Rochester.

When he returned with the police to the scene of the accident there was no sign of the girl. All that was left on the side of the road was the blanket he had used to cover her injured body.

Police called an official search on the area that went on for a couple of days – all the local hospital records were checked but there had been no admissions matching the description of the girl.

The Maurice Goodenough Incident

Goodenough was interviewed by the News of the World that Saturday night and stuck to his story…even though he was still extremely traumatised by the incident.

He claimed that he was not mad – he had definitely hit a young lady that had simply vanished.

The press had a field day with his paranormal claims and eventually published articles covering the accident back in 1965 – was this girl the ghost of one of the female passengers who had died tragically that night?


The Ian Sharpe Incident

Late one Sunday evening in November, 1992, Ian Sharpe, a 54-year-old coach driver was on his way home to Maidstone.

When he neared the Aylesford southbound turn-off of the A229 at Blue Bell Hill, a young woman walked straight in front of his vehicle. He claimed that the woman calmly stood there and stared straight into his eyes as he crashed into her and run straight over her body.

Sharpe got out of his vehicle fearing the worse…but when he checked the area he found no sign of a body.

Shaken and petrified, he travelled straight to the local police station.

The police managed to calm him down and eventually explained that the area had received many similar reports over the years – it was as though they believed the paranormal incidents themselves.

They did agree to return to the area of the accident with Sharpe but yet again – no body was found. Ian Sharpe later described it as the most terrifying experience of his life.

If you have any thoughts or opinions on the Blue Bell Hill ghost, please leave them in the comment section below.

Spedlins Tower – James ‘Dunty’ Porteous

Spedlins Tower - James 'Dunty' Porteous

The fortress, Spedlins Tower, looms over the south bank of the River Annan in the county of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, UK. It was constructed in the Tudor era (around about 1605) and was home to the wealthy Jardine family.

Records show that the Jardines owned the majority of the land between Templand and Milhousebridge.

The Jardine family’s stay at Spedlins Tower was cut short due to an unwelcome guest terrorising their day to day life. They eventually had to move across the River Annan to get away from the ghost of a miller who was haunting them…


Who Was James Porteous?

James Porteous worked as the local miller in the nearby territory of Milhousebridge. His work route included delivering his produce to the Baronet, Sir Alexander Jardine, at Spedlins Tower.

Porteous was a larger than life character with a bit of an argumentative side to him – his quarrels with the locals eventually led to him picking up the nickname Dunty (apparently this is Old English for ‘argument’).

Dunty’s sharp side eventually led to him having a big falling out with Alexander Jardine, some say there was an accident in the mill that Sir Alexander owned…and Dunty was behind this accident.

The argument finally got the better of Sir Jardine’s patience and he ordered Porteous to be locked up in the dungeons of Spedlins Tower for a cooling off period.


Hunger

Not long after this argument, Jardine was called away to Edinburgh on some pressing business – he had forgotten he had locked the miller in his dungeon and he had also forgotten that he had the keys to his cell in his jacket pocket.

As the hours led to days, Dunty realized that Sir Jardine had forgotten about him and began to panic.

Sir Jardine

When Sir Jardine eventually arrived at his destination he was horrified to find the keys to the dungeon in his pocket. He hastily hired a courier to return to the Tower with the keys and release Dunty.

He was too late.

Dunty was found dead inside the dungeon cell with half his hand chewed off – apparently he was that desperate for food!


The Haunting

From that moment on, the Jardine family were tormented by the spirit of the dead miller.

All day long and all through the dark nights, the family could hear the ghost wailing out “Let me out – I’m deen’ o’ hunger!”

The tormented screams got so bad that Sir Alexander eventually called in a local chaplain to perform an exorcism. The Chaplin used a large black bible to banish the miller’s spirit to the dungeons – it was no longer allowed to haunt the tower’s living quarters.

The whole paranormal episode had been too much for the Jardine family – Soon after, they moved from Spedlins Tower to Jardin Hall across the river.

The large bible used by the Chaplin in the exorcism ended up being bricked up in a stone niche in the Tower’s staircase wall. This antique bible acted as a ward to the miller’s spirit, and kept it quiet in the dungeons.

A few years after the Jardine family had moved into their new home, across the river, the bible was sent to Edinburgh to be rebound. This resulted in the family now being haunted in their new home by the ghost of Dunty.

Sir Alexander sent for the holy book at once and as soon as it was placed back in it’s holding place in the tower, the spirit’s cries disappeared.

These days, the owners of Spedlins Tower still insist that the ghost of Dunty resides in their dungeon area. Apparently, if you put a stick into the dungeon window, it will come out chewed…

If you have any thoughts or opinions on the subject we have covered here today, please leave them in the comment section below.

 

A Loftus Hall Ghost Story

A Loftus Hall Ghost Story

Loftus Hall is a large mansion property that is situated on the Hook peninsula, County Wexford in Ireland. It was constructed on the site of the original Redmond Hall, it is said by locals to have been haunted by Satan himself, and the ghost of a despairing young woman named Anne…


The History of Loftus Hall

The property was deigned and constructed by the Redmand family in 1350 during the time of Black Death. It was built as a replacement for the family’s original castle which was located in Houseland near Portersgate.

During the 1650’s the mansion came into possession of the Loftus family due to the Cromwellian confiscations and later the Act of Settlement in 1662.

The property was eventually converted into a hotel in 1983 but it’s new life of service failed to take off – it was left abandoned until 2011, when it became a tourist attraction.


The Devil You Know

During the 1780’s the Loftus family decided to take a break from the area and headed off on a holiday, they left a family named the Tottenham’s in charge of the mansion until they decided to return.

The Tottenham’s knew their stay at the Hall could possibly be a long one, so they decided to bring their daughter, Anne, along for the duration.

Within days of them arriving at Loftus Hall, they were alerted to a loud banging at the front door one evening. They answered the call to find a man on the doorstep asking if he could take shelter from the intense storm outside.

The family welcomed him into the house and he remained there for days as the storm seemed to go on forever…

The History of Loftus Hall

The young and impressionable Anne eventually fell in love with this dark stranger. They started a relationship.

One evening the family and their daughter’s new lover decided to play a game of cards around the table in the main living room. Anne accidentally dropped one of her cards and crawled under the table to retrieve it.

She was struck with horror as she realized that her new lover’s feet had somehow transformed into cloven hooves – the feet of the Devil.

She screamed and told her parents what she had seen underneath the table. Her lover suddenly rose to his feet and with superhuman strength, somehow managed to leap straight through the Loftus Hall roof.

The hole this dark stranger left in the ceiling of the property could never be properly repaired.

The Devil You Know

A couple of months after her mysterious lover’s exit, Anne realized that she was pregnant with his baby. Once she gave birth to the child, her parents murdered it through worry that it was the child of Satan.

They buried the remains of the infant in the walls of the tapestry room and called in a priest to exorcise the property.

Anne spent the remaining years of her life in complete heartbreak and despair – locked away in the tapestry room with the remains of her dead child.


Paranormal Activity

The remains of the child were located in the 1870’s when Loftus Hall was being renovated – this discovery seemed to trigger the paranormal activity that has surrounded the property ever since.

There have been hundreds of reports of orbs and manifestations since the grizzly discovery of the infant’s skeletal remains.

If you have any thoughts or opinions on the Loftus Hall ghost story we have covered here, please leave them in the comment section below.

Imogene Remus – The Ghost of Eden Park

Imogene Remus - The Ghost of Eden Park

A well known and rather impressive urban park, Eden Park is located in the Walnut Hills and Mt. Adams areas of Cincinnati, Ohio.

The park land was bought up by the city in 1869 – before this a prominent Cincinnati landowner (who was also a horticulturist) named Nicholas Longworth owned it.

Longworth obviously had a lot of affection for the area as he frequently referred to it as his ‘Garden of Eden’. Reports suggest that he used the land as a vineyard.

It is rumored that the park is haunted by the ghost of a lady known as Augusta “Imogene” Remus. She was the unfortunate second wife of a notorious bootlegger named George Remus


Love Blossoms

Imogene initially met George Remus in Chicago when she was a regular to one of his numerous pharmacies. George seemed to see something in Imogene, and before long, he offered her the position of being his own legal secretary.

Both Imogene and George were married when they met, Imogene eventually left her husband in 1917 and George got divorced from his wife shortly afterwards. Remus and Imogene then got married on June the 25th, in Newport, KY.

Eden Park Sign

In January of 1920 the Alcohol Prohibition act came into play and George instantly spotted a loophole in it’s setup. He was able to buy alcohol for his pharmacies through ‘medicinal purposes’.

He then paid a group of his own employees to raid each delivery so he could sell the drink illegally.

George and Imogene eventually moved to Cincinnati where his illegal booze business snowballed – some reports suggest that he was worth in excess of forty million dollars!


Caught

But it wasn’t all plain sailing – in 1925, George Remus was indicted for thousands of violations of the Volstead Act. He ended up having to serve a two year sentence in prison.

When he knew the game was up, and he was going to serve a sentence, Remus handed power of attorney to his wife, Imogene, and transferred all assets to her name.

Unfortunately, he made the mistake of letting this information slip in front of an undercover agent inmate named Franklin Dodge.

Dodge decided to quit his undercover position and started an affair with Imogene.

The pair really seemed to know what they were doing – they immediately liquidated Remus’ assets and hid the money for themselves.

Remus was left with little over $100 of his own empire!

Dodge and Imogene then went as far as trying to get the bootlegger deported from the country…but that attempt failed. They then hired a ‘hit man’ to take Remus out…but that also failed.


Revenge

George was finally released in 1927 and Imogene at once filed for divorce. On October 6th, 1927, both Imogene and George were to attend court for the finalization of the divorce.

When Imogene was on her way to court she was unaware that George was following her car – a chase ensued ending up with Imogene’s car crashing into a barrier at Eden Park.

She exited the car and desperately tried to get away from her enraged husband…but he shot her in the abdomen and she died near the Spring House Gazebo.

Mirror Lake, Eden Park

Remus’s chauffeur had seen all this happen, and decided to make a bolt for it…leaving George stranded in the park next to the body of his dead wife.

Remus then calmly walked to the nearest police station and turned himself in for the murder of his wife.

When he eventually got to trial he decided to represent himself. He pleaded not guilty on the grounds of insanity – caused by the adultery, thievery, and betrayal of his wife.

He was ultimately acquitted in one of the first successful cases of the insanity defence – he ended up serving 8 months in a mental asylum.

By the time he was released, the underground bootlegging industry had been taken over by the ‘real’ gangsters – George never returned to this business.


Imogene Remus

Ever since her murder, there have been numerous reports of Imogene’s ghost being spotted in Eden Park. She is often seen in and around the gazebo she was murdered by.

Eyewitness accounts have her wearing a black gown as she cries silently by the gazebo. She has also been spotted by the nearby reflecting pool throughout the Autumn months – standing silently and gazing at the tree-leaves hitting the water.

If you have any thoughts or opinions on the subject we have covered here today, please leave them in the comment section below.

The Malahide Castle Ghosts

The Malahide Castle Ghosts

Built in 1185 by King Henry II of England, Malahide Castle stands proudly in Dublin County, Ireland.

King Henry originally decided to build the castle for his friend Sir Richard Talbot – a knight who had helped him out on numerous occasions. The Talbot family moved into the castle and soon became one of the most powerful families in Ireland.

They became so powerful that when King Edward the Fourth came into power, he felt more than obliged to expand their castle home further (the garden areas were made bigger and the towers were made higher).

Malahide Castle actually managed to stay the property of the Talbot family until 1979. Unfortunately inheritance tax caught up with them and they had to sell the historic property to the council to fund the payments.

It’s one of the biggest (and boldest) castles in the country of Ireland…and it’s also thought to be one of the most haunted.

Let’s take a closer look at the Malahide Castle ghosts…


The Ghost of Miles Corbet

A well known English politician and Roundhead – Miles Corbet was the last (important) man to sign the death warrant for King Charles I.

He strongly supported the values of Oliver Cromwell – he believed that Britain would be far better off as a republic…and that there was no real need for a Monarchy.

During his rise, Oliver Cromwell managed to drive the catholic Talbot family out of their castle, and ended up handing the property over to Corbet (who also hated Catholics!).

Unfortunately, most of the locals who lived around the grounds of Malahide Castle were Catholic – and Corbet was not exactly nice to them – he outlawed the religion in the area and even went as far as burning down the local Abbey.

He was soon considered an evil dictator…

In 1660, Cromwell was overthrown and executed. The monarchy was reinstated and King Charles II was put into power.

The Ghost of Miles Corbet

King Charles decided that it was about time he punished all the ‘Regicides’ that had signed the death warrant of his predecessor – Corbet got wind of this early and managed to flee to the Netherlands.

Unfortunately for Corbet, he was caught by troops of King Charles two years later, and was returned to Malahide Castle where he was Hung, Drawn, then Quartered.

Since then, Corbet’s rather unsettling spirit is said to haunt the Castle.

Apparently his ghost reappears on the anniversary of his death and runs screaming throughout the castle. His ghost has also appeared other times of the year – many reports indicate that it has a habit of falling apart into quarters, reminiscent of his grizzly execution.


The Ghost of Walter Hussey

Also known as the Young Lord Galtrim, Walter Hussey was a cavalier who ended up in Malahide as a soldier fighting the Roundheads.

During his stay in the area, he met and fell in love with a young Irish local. Within weeks they decided to get married and Hussey’s father travelled to Malahide to ask the Talbots if his son could hold the ceremony at their castle.

Everything was agreed upon and Hussey decided to leave the battle with the Roundheads and remain in Malahide with his bride-to-be.

The Ghost of Walter Hussey

Hussey was ambushed on the morning of his wedding as he travelled to the castle – a single spear wound, thrown by a rival Roundhead, killed him.

After the death of Hussey, his wife-to-be actually fell in love with his murderer, and soon married him instead.

The tragic ghost of Walter Hussey has been reported on numerous occasions, walking slowly through the castle and showcasing his spear wound to shocked visitors.

Many locals believe that he is still trying to explain to people why he missed his own wedding…or maybe he is heartbroken by the actions his lover took after his murder?


The Ghost of Maud Plunkett

Maud Plunkett, was the wife of a character named the ‘Chief Justice’ – she lived in the castle for a short time in the Talbot’s history.

Plunkett had come from two previous failed marriages, and the Chief Justice was unaware of why these relationships broke down. Unfortunately for the Chief – Plunkett was a little bit of a petty headcase…

The Ghost of Maud Plunkett

She would constantly argue and scream at her husband and there were numerous reports of her chasing him violently through the castle halls. Eventually the Talbots had enough of her mad behaviour and threw the pair of them out of the castle.

Plunkett’s Malahide Castle spirit is always accompanied by the ghost of Chief Justice – many paranormal reports claim that the pair of them have been spotted running through the castle’s halls and corridors.


The Ghost of Puck Of Malahide

Puck was the Talbot family’s Jester during the Tudor Era – he stood at no more than four feet tall (he was a dwarf).

He had two main jobs really – the Talbot family Jester and the watchman for the tower prison. Puck was well known for being reclusive and very neat and tidy when he was not working.

A woman named Lady Elenora Fitzgerald was sent to the tower prison by Henry VIII and it was Puck’s job to keep an eye on her. Within weeks, he had fallen head over heels in love with her.

He managed to keep this attraction to himself for a while but rumours soon started to spread…and warp like Chinese whispers…

These rumours twisted to the point where the Talbots heard that someone was ‘on the side’ of Fitzgerald – they could not let the king hear about this – he might think that it was them!

The Ghost of Puck Of Malahide

As a result, on a cold December morning, Puck’s murdered body was found outside the castle – the Talbot’s had taken matters into their own hands.

All of the family members claimed that Puck had taken his own life – apparently twisted and heartbroken in love…not many of the locals believed this.

Puck had said shortly before his death that his ghost would haunt the castle, but not hurt anyone as long as a male Talbot lived there.

Puck’s ghost does not manifest to the naked eye that often, the last time was during the sale of the castle back in 1979. Since then he has only appeared in tourist’s photographs…although they were not aware of his presence when they were taking the pictures.


If you have any thoughts or opinions on the Malahide Castle ghosts, please leave them in the comment section below.

The Pluckley Ghosts

The Pluckley Ghosts

In this article we will be taking a closer look at the ‘Pluckley ghosts’ that inhabit the most haunted village in England. The following report highlights the ghosts of Pluckley village, in Kent


*NOTE: In 1989 the Guinness World Records awarded Pluckley the title of the most haunted village in England.


THE GHOST OF THE HIGHWAYMAN

History indicates that during the 18th Century, an unnamed highwayman was ambushed and savagely stabbed to death at Fright Corner by either local police or competing criminals.

Legend has it that he was left pinned to a hollow oak tree by the sword used to kill him.

Over the years there have been numerous reports of the gruesome ambush scene being replayed by the spirits involved in the incident.


THE HORSE DRAWN COACH

A ghostly horse drawn coach has been reported by locals numerous times around the Maltman’s Hill area of the village. One of the most famous reports came from a local lady who was driving home from babysitting her granddaughter, just after midnight.

When she arrived at Pinnock’s Crossroads, she witnessed a strange, lit up coach, which was being pulled by horses, coming towards her.

On another occasion, a Pluckley local was driving home late one night through the back streets of the village. As he came to an intersection in the back roads he witnessed the ghostly coach pass straight in front of him.


THE GYPSY WOMAN

The Crossroads Bridge seems to be the main hangout of a ghostly gypsy woman who stands around smoking a long pipe. Local research points to the fact that she could well be a woman who was known for selling watercress which she found in the nearby stream.

Locals believe she haunts this particular location because it’s the spot where a tragic accident took her life – she somehow manged to set herself on fire and died from the injuries.

One theory suggests that her pipe managed to ignite the alcohol she was frequently drinking…

This area around Pinnock Bridge is apparently also an area where natural mists form on a regular basis.


THE MILLER

The ghost of the miller is said to be a black silhouette that haunts a ruined windmill near a house called The Pinnocks. The mill itself was actually destroyed by a fire in 1939, nine years after it closed down it’s operations for good.

Many locals believe that the ghost has something to do with the son of a past owner – Richard ‘Dicky’ Buss.

The black silhouette is reported to appear before the arrival of a thunderstorm.


THE WHITE LADY

The White Lady is reported to haunt St Nicholas’s Church as well as the Dering family house library in their manor of Surrenden Dering (this manor eventually burned down in 1952).

Surrenden Dering acted as the US Embassy between the two world wars, and it was during this time period that reports of the White Lady first surfaced.

An American born British marksman and sculptor named Walter Winans once held a lonesome vigil one Christmas Eve in the library with his hunting rifle.

He didn’t have to wait long before the White Lady materialised in front of him. In a panic he picked up his trusty rifle and shot her through the chest…the bullet simply passed straight through her and hit the wall behind.

The rifle shot caused the spirit to vanish through a panelled wall – thought to be the wall that used to protect a secret tunnel between the house and the church.


THE TUDOR LADY

A Pluckley house named Rose Court, which dates back over two hundred and fifty years, is thought to be the home of yet another ghostly lady.

Legend explains that this lady was awfully unhappy in life and decided to commit suicide by consuming poisonous berries.

The ghostly lady, possibly a mistress of a member of the Dering family, can be heard calling for her two dogs between 4 and 5pm on certain days (she apparently took her life between these hours).


THE DEVIL’S BUSH

This final entry to the article is really more of a legend, as opposed to being based on any real facts. Nobody really knows where this bush is supposed to be located in Pluckley.

Apparently, if you dance around this bush three times the Devil is said to appear.

There is no real way of tracing this legend due to the lack of information on the bush’s location – could be folklore…could be based on truth?

You decide…


The Pluckley Ghosts

If you know of any other paranormal incidents that have taken place in Pluckley we would love to hear from you. Please consider using the comment section below to share these reports with us!

Ye Olde Man and Scythe – Paranormal Footage

Ye Olde Man and Scythe - Paranormal Footage

I came across this interesting paranormal footage whilst doing my ‘spooky rounds’ over the weekend – I often spend my Sundays planning out what content I am going to post to our ‘Mysteries network’ over the coming week.

The footage in question was taken at the Ye Olde Man and Scythe pub in Bolton, UK. It is actually the 4th oldest pub in Britain that dates as far back as 1251.

I usually opt to include paranormal footage in the Real Paranormal Video Footage section of the site, but I thought this would make an interesting post to start the week off!

Take a look for yourself and see what you think…


Paranormal Activity At Ye Olde Man and Scythe

The paranormal footage was first discovered by pub manager Tony Dooley one Friday morning. As he opened up the bar area he accidentally started wading through broken glass on the floor.

He immediately thought the premises had been burgled the night before so he rushed over to the CCTV system to find out who was behind the break in.

Tony watched the footage in horror as a flickering figure appeared behind the bar area – then without warning, the footage suddenly cut off at exactly  6:18 am.


James Stanley

The Ye Olde Man and Scythe pub, which dates from 1251, is reportedly haunted by the ghost of James Stanley, the seventh Earl of Derby.

Stanley was a royalist, whose family originally owned the inn. Reports suggest that he actually spent the last few hours of his life in the pub before he was escorted to his execution – he was beheaded in 1651 toward the end of the Civil War.

The Ye Olde Man and Scythe pub, which dates from 1251

A antique chair still sits in the pub, and legend has it that this was the chair he (Stanley) sat in as he awaited his fate at the hands of the executioner.

Many locals and paranormal enthusiasts believe that this chair has somehow managed to keep the spirit of Stanley within the walls of the old pub.


Stanley’s Not Alone…

During the Bolton Massacre in 1644, hundreds of people were slaughtered directly outside the pub. Many paranormal investigators have visited the pub and claim at least 25 of these slaughtered souls still haunt the premises.

Mr Dooley also claims that he has had numerous contacts with the spirit of an eight-year-old girl and a phantom dog at the pub.

Only a few weeks ago he said he was woken by what he thought was his girlfriend’s dog, Kallie, licking his bare foot that was sticking out of the bed sheets.

He got up to tell the dog off and realized that Kallie was actually sleeping on the bed next to him.

Tony is completely open-minded about the paranormal activity he has experienced at the pub and has invited numerous psychics and investigators over…to see what they could find.

He simply states that: “This is a well-known haunt in Bolton and people are quite receptive of it”

If you have any thoughts or opinions about the topic we have covered here today, please leave them in the comment section below.

The Berry Pomeroy Castle Ghosts

The Berry Pomeroy Castle Ghosts

The romantic ruins of the Berry Pomeroy Castle are reported to be one of the most haunted places in the British Isles. In this article we will be taking a closer look at the paranormal entities that pervade the grounds – the Berry Pomeroy Castle ghosts…


The Castle

The land for the castle property was originally handed over to Ralph de Pomeroy by William the Conqueror – apparently it was a ‘thank you’ for de Pomeroy’s support and loyalty over the years.

In his later years, Ralph de Pomeroy ordered the castle to be built on the land gifted to him, and by the time of his death in 1305, it was nearly completed.

The castle stayed within the de Pomeroy family until 1540 when Jane Seymour’s brother, Sir Edward Seymour, acquired the property.

Ralph de Pomeroy

It’s safe to say that Edward Seymour was not the most popular Lord Protector in the area – he made numerous changes to the castle land and managed to step on many local toes along the way.

He was eventually removed from power by the Earl of Warwick and quickly thrown in prison. He was executed several months later.

But the castle still remained in the Seymour family – even after Edward was removed and killed. They managed to keep hold of the impressive building up until 1688, when it was finally abandoned.

The castle was just left to rot really, until the English Heritage took over it in 1977 in an effort to save it from complete ruin. Renovations are still going on to this day.


The Ghosts of Berry Pomeroy Castle

Over the years there have been numerous reports of paranormal activity within the castle walls – the most famous are that of the Blue Lady and the White Lady.

It is widely thought that the White Lady is the apparition of Margaret Pomeroy – she is often spotted roaming about the the dungeons of St. Margaret’s Tower.

Margaret’s spirit does not really seem to be that threatening – numerous reports from castle visitors claim that she simply stands still as she waves at them calmly.

Margaret was actually imprisoned in the dungeons by her sister, Eleanor. Many believe that this was down to nothing more than sibling rivalry.

She was kept under lock and key until she eventually starved to death…

The Ghosts of Berry Pomeroy Castle

The Blue Lady tends to be a little more mischievous – she is known to lure people into parts of the castle in an attempt to get them lost.

There has been a lot of research into the identity of the Blue Lady and many historians believe she was the daughter of a Norman castle lord. She was raped by her father and unfortunately fell pregnant with his baby.

The lord allowed the baby to be born but it’s life was short-lived – he eventually strangled the poor child in one of the castle rooms.


The Berry Pomeroy Castle Ghosts

If you have any thoughts or opinions on the subject we have covered above, please leave them in the comment section below.