Looking for a vacation getaway, that may include some unseen guests? Check out the haunted Virginia Beach, where it is rumored that a number of spirits continue to make their presence known to visitors…
Coors & The Cavalier Hotel
Stay the night in the historic Cavalier Hotel, where you may encounter the ghost of Mr. Adolph Coors, the founder of Coors Beer.
In June 1929, Coors fell to his untimely death from a window of the hotel. Although the death was ruled a suicide, many believe that Coors was pushed from the window, thus the reason his spirit still lingers.
Many workers and guests claim to have an uneasy feeling when they venture onto the sixth floor, and an eerie sound of something heavy hitting the pavement has been heard.
Another ghost who occupies the hotel is believed to be a former employee, who knows about other ghosts who haunt the building.
Visitors have reported seeing an African American man, dressed as a bellhop, who has warned them of venturing up to the sixth floor because “there are ghosts up there.”
A cat has also been seen by guests, wandering the halls, although countless searches by the staff have never located the animal.
The cat supposedly belonged a young girl who lived in the hotel.
One day, the cat fell into the pool and the girl went in after it, but tragically both lost their lives. Scratches, mews and sightings of the cat have been reported to the hotel staff on a frequent basis.
Whether it be cold spots, disembodied voices, elevators that run on their own or numerous other ghost sightings, the Cavalier Hotel is a haunted staple in Virginia Beach.
If you have a car, be sure to travel down Elbow Road; one of the most haunted roads in America. Be careful though!
Elbow Road is known for its dense forests, sharp turns, and lack of street lights, all which have contributed to hundreds of accidents in the Virginia Beach area.
Locals have claimed to see multiple apparitions along this stretch of road over the years. A male jogger, who was hit by a car, has been seen and heard calling for his dog in the woods.
An older woman named Mrs. Woble, who was allegedly murdered, now walks through the fields alongside the road, looking for her home.
Strange lights can be seen coming from the now non-existent house Mrs. Woble used to occupy.
And a young girl, who drowned in the adjacent lake while fishing with her father, is rumored to make her presence known to those who dare to stop their car on Elbow Road at night.
According to legend, if you sit on the hood of your car, you will see the young girl’s footprints making their way towards you.
This dangerous road has seen so many fatalities in recent years, that sections are currently being renovated to prevent further accidents.
As any good ghost hunter would know though, renovations often times stir up more spirit activity!
Princess Anne Country Club
Another stop along your ghost hunting journey should be at the Princess Anne Country Club. Since this is an exclusive members only club, you’ll have to know someone to get an invitation onto the premises.
The club was built in 1916 for those who wanted to work on their athleticism. It is believed to be haunted by two spirits: a young bride and an evil man.
The beautiful bride is fairly often seen in the bar area of the country club. She will disappear into thin air, while barely causing a stir.
The evil man, on the other hand, supposedly wears a black cape and has chased employees away from the building.
Other paranormal reports include hearing the clanking of silverware in the dinning room, as if someone is setting up the tables for dinner service and 1920’s music heard wafting through the rooms, even when no one is present.
It’s no surprise that Virginia Beach is haunted. Between the long history from the first settlers who built their homes here, to the battles which raged on during the Civil War, to the countless people who have lived and died on this soil; the spirits have made themselves known.
Haunted Virginia Beach will continue to attract historians and ghost hunters alike.
There is just so much to talk about when it comes to Georgia haunted houses. The South was riddled with too many untimely deaths.
This is the place where approximately 13, 000 prisoners out of 45k brave Union soldiers died at the Andersonville Prison due to exposure and disease among other tormenting causes like starvation.
Can you believe they used to ship out roughly over a hundred bodies every day?
They say you can feel a chilling and strong presence of tormented souls stretching their hands out to you like they’re begging for help.
Those who’ve toured this old building have been quoted reporting to have felt too much despair and death!
From the Town Hall in Braselton, to the Warren House in Jonesboro (formerly a Civil War hospital), Georgia is full of haunted houses and ghost stories.
Stories are told of an old haunted house in Savannah, popularly known as the Kehoe House. The Kehoe ghosts here however are friendly and have nothing negative or evil about them.
This is unlike the case at the Tailor House in Oglethorpe, Macon County where the original builder and occupant of the building Col. George W. Fish, went into fits of rage and trashed the whole place just because they didn’t ask him permission to rebuild.
The house has remained “un-renovated” to date.
They’re either afraid that he’ll not like the renovations or maybe they just don’t know how to ask him after pissing him off the first time!
But really… how many of these stories can be confirmed? Some haunted house stories are quite controversial and truth be told, very confusing.
In Ms. Pitt’s house, Waverly Hall, stories have been told of her ghost appearing but the strangest part about this house’s haunting stories is the reports of laughing children.
Thorough research into the matter has revealed that Ms. Pitts died without children of her own… so who are these kids playing Casper inside this spooky residence?
Other haunted houses in Georgia include the century old Lanier Lodge in Cumming. The story goes that a housekeeper walked in on a sad chap just before he pulled the trigger; ending his life in a tragic suicide.
This led to the immediate closure of the room from the public for several years. To this day, the guy is still walking around the building but he has never said or done anything.
Fast forward to a more recent case where the GOGPI team, short for Ghosts of Georgia Paranormal Investigations, went on a ghost hunt at a residence in the McDonough area.
They reported strange footsteps, a table being lifted off the floor by an unseen entity; some photos were taken out of the box where the owner had kept them, shadows and doors closing by themselves among other weird happenings.
At least one team member (Larry) reported being touched or feeling the sensation of a touch on the left elbow from a ghostly presence.
The question however still remains, do you believe in ghosts? Or are you a skeptic?
Well, rumor has it that Georgia will make anyone a believer due to the abundance of haunted places especially in Savannah where a large number of haunting cases are reported.
One amazing thing that came out clear at the end of this investigation is that most of the buildings served in one way or another during the Civil War but most as hospitals.
The presence of apparitions in such locations is quite expected as many agonizing deaths must have occurred within these walls.
Another outstanding fact about most of Georgia’s ghosts is that they’re quite a friendly bunch.
Reports rarely include any violence and in many cases the ghosts just remain silent; only choosing to thump on walls and doors with occasional slaps on the face… maybe to naughty house guests?!
There are so many exciting Georgia ghost stories that we might have to cover them in a series of articles…
Judging from the few cases cited above, it goes without saying that Georgia is a hot spot for ghost hunters.
As you continue to dig deep into the Georgia haunted houses dilemma, you will discover that most cases still have a lot of “if’s” and “maybe’s” hanging around them, thus becoming a bit difficult to confirm where the truth lies.
When you think of Florida, you think of theme parks, beaches, and spring break. The word “ghost” is unlikely to cross your mind. That is, unless you are interested in the paranormal…
Florida is steeped in history, and has more than its share of ghosts and hauntings.
Let’s take a look at just a few of some of the places around the Sunshine State where you can possibly spy one or two of the ghosts in Florida’s haunted houses.
May Stringer House
Settled in Brooksville, Florida, the May Stringer house was built in 1856 by John May. The land was used as a plantation until his death two years later 1858.
His wife Marena remarried Frank Saxon in 1866. She died in 1869 giving birth to her daughter Jessie May.
All of the deceased members of the May-Saxon family are buried in the burial ground located on the grounds. Mr. Saxon later remarried himself, and sold the house to Dr. Sheldon Stringer.
The property was later bequeathed by the Stringer family to the state of Florida as a museum.
Instead of keeping with the entire look and feel of the home in its original state, the Museum Association has constructed a Victorian military room, a doctor’s office, and an early 1900’s communication room.
Photographs of the before and after renovations can be found here:
Due to the renovation, people have reported being touched, orbs, apparitions, the ghost of “Mr. Nasty” in the attic, cries, and visitors are advised not to touch the doll in Jessie’s crib.
There is not a lot of information regarding the Southernmost Inn. Aside from being a cigar factory in the late 1800’s owned by Key West cigar baron Francisco Marrero, the building was eventually converted into a lesbian-only resort, Pearl’s Rainbow.
I had the chance to spend some time at the hotel when it was still Pearl’s. It still had it’s late Victorian charm intermingled with up-to-date twenty-first century amenities that every guest should expect.
It was also possessed by a ghost.
While most of the haunting of Marrero’s ex-lover Enriquetta is focused in their Fleming Street mansion, it seems that there is yet another ghost that has a connection to him and his factory.
The woman, which myself and my partner had sighted, was a slender woman in Edwardian dress with sad expression.
There also was a male apparition that kept coming and going as well throughout our stay; however, the female was the primary inhabitant of the resort.
We experienced the radio and television going off when they were not plugged in, footsteps, the feeling of being watched, and a male and female talking in our room at night.
We didn’t feel threatened, and neither should the guests of the now established Southernmost Inn.
Ernest Hemingway House
Whether you love ghosts, cats, literature, or all three, one of the most charming landmarks that you must visit in Key West is the Ernest Hemingway House.
The home is nestled in a quiet neighborhood away from the bustle of Duval Street, and overflowing with lush gardens and up to fifty polydactyl cats.
Mr. Hemingway himself lived in the home for several decades until he made Cuba his primary residence in the 1950’s.
The author can still be seen in his home today, allegedly in his writing studio along with his third wife Pauline. He is most often seen watching guests tour his home, from the inside of the house.
A stately two-story home that was built in 1871 by Clara Barkley Dorr. Mrs. Dorr occupied the house after the death of her husband Eben Dorr, with her hefty inheritance of $51,000.
She lived outwardly peacefully until she died in 1898, and did not remarry. For all of her projected normalcy during her lifetime, the home is steeped in the paranormal after her death.
Orbs, vortexes, and white apparitions have been sighted by guests touring the home. Objects have moved on their own accord, women’s skirts have been pulled down, and the odor of roses can be smelled throughout the place.
There is also the sound of crying in an upstairs bedroom, which was attributed to a residual energy of the supposed death of one of Mrs. Dorr’s children in the 1880’s.
However, according to burial records, the youngest Dorr child died at age 19:
There is also the apparition of the “translucent woman” that can be seen dancing madly all over the property.
The translucent woman does not resemble the late Mrs. Dorr, so it is unclear as to who she may have been in life.
1876 Lightkeeper’s House
Substantially younger than the rest of the 16th century buildings in the city, the 1876 Lightkeeper’s House is the best of Florida’s haunted houses.
In the 1800’s, William Harn, along with his wife and six daughters came from Maine to superintend the lighthouse during the period.
The house gives every impression of being cursed in a sense. A workman died due to a construction accident in the early 1800’s, and there was the death of two little girls due to the lumber accident that was well publicized in the 1880’s.
A fire destroyed the building several decades later, where it set empty until the St. Augustine Junior Service League obtained $200,000 in fundraisers and donations to make repairs on the crumbling building between 1981 to 1986.
A Welcome Center, gift shop, and small maritime histories museum encompass the space where burnt timbers once predominated the site.
Most avid ghost-hunters are aware of the story of the St. Augustine lighthouse itself, and focus their energies on that part of the property.
The hauntings seem to spill over from the Lighthouse to the 1876 House, and vice versa.
I was lucky to investigate the property several years ago, and found that there are several spirits in that building that have nothing to do with the Lighthouse itself.
One of the most intense that stands out to me to this day was that of a soldier that inhabited the brick basement area downstairs.
There is no record of any solider’s death, so how he is associated with the basement is a mystery.
There were also the apparitions of two little girls that seem connected with the dolls housed in the glass cases in the basement, and the figure of a woman in 1940’s dress can be seen in the first-floor Welcome Center.
Real Florida Haunted Houses
We hope you have enjoyed our article on the real Florida haunted houses. If you have any thoughts or opinions on the subjects we have covered here please leave them in the comment section below.
Texas is known as the Lone Star State, bringing up images of cowboys and the wild west. What it usually doesn’t bring to mind are thoughts of the paranormal.
However, Texas haunted houses are plentiful and prominent in the southern state.
From the La Carafe in Houston to the eighteenth century Spanish fort in Goliad, the place is crawling with tales of spirits and unexplained phenomenon.
For example, in a place called Mineral Wells (a little west of Fort Worth), the Baker Hotel opened its doors in 1929…
The Baker Hotel
It cost over one million dollars to build, which was a considerable amount of money at the time and an extremely risky business venture considering that the stock market had just crashed.
Society’s elite came to the hotel for the cure-all mineral springs nearby and, possibly, to also partake in alcoholic beverages during the Prohibition.
When it eventually closed for good in 1973, many reported that they witnessed windows opening and closing on their own. There have also been reports of a boy in a wheelchair moving about the abandoned hotel, as well.
A popular and well-circulated story is of the Lady in White. The story goes that she maintained an affair with the hotel manager but, eventually, she threw herself from the balcony of the fourteen story building to her death.
Some claim that the stress of honoring the secrecy of the affair is what led her to end her own life.
The Lady in White reportedly stays to the seventh floor, where she once lived in one of the rooms. Those claiming to have seen her say that she is nude and bloody or wearing a white dress.
The woman’s red hair is a consistent aspect of the story and that is what is most noticed when people catch her staring out a window.
Maids also find her lipstick on wine glasses in her former living quarters, even when the room is uninhabited.
The La Carafe Bar
Another haunted site, this one right in the heart of Texas, in the La Carafe bar in Houston. This bar is believed to be the oldest known bar in the state, as it was built in 1866.
This bar was thought to be a popular watering hole for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War, though the most popular ghost sighting at La Carafe is not a fallen soldier. No, the most popular ghost is a former employee named, “Carl.”
Carl, who worked as a bartender at the La Carafe, is usually witnessed looking out of a second-story window. According to some, his eyes can also be felt on you or he might even make a strange sound to alert unsuspecting patrons of his presence.
Most associate the unexplained footsteps coming from the second floor of the establishment as Carl making his way around, as well as the sudden and distinct cold spots that manifest without reason inside the building. Objects have even been witnessed moving without any visual explanation.
The Presidio La Bahia
During the Texas Revolution in 1836, at the Presidio la Bahia (a Spanish fort on the fringe of Goliad), arguably the worst massacre of the revolution was enacted. A total of 342 Texan soldiers were ordered to death by General Lopez de Santa Anna.
Paranormal investigators report seeing the aftermath of the Goliad Massacre, at an estimate of three days or so after the act may have taken place.
They estimate the time frame that they are seeing these apparitions by the state of decay the Texan soldiers appear to be in at the time of the sightings.
They are piled in the Quadrant, some of the soldiers being described as “not young enough to shave.” Doors bang repeatedly and rhythmically throughout the night, out of time with the wind or without any wind at all.
Apparitions are witnessed gliding through the fort and some claim they hear another unseen entity turning a lock.
Paranormal investigators even report the sound of approaching horses, their hoof beats drawing nearer and nearer to the courtyard in the middle of the night.
The state of Texas is wrought with the spirits of the long departed, whether they remain because they loved their job like Carl the Bartender or because their lives ended prematurely in the midst of a violent revolution.
Texas haunted houses are where some of the most vigorous and undeniable reports of paranormal activity emerge, as expected from a state that boasts that “everything’s big” there.
The gently rolling hills of Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains are home to Sweet Briar College, a seemingly serene college for women.
Yet, amidst the peaceful setting, supernatural events are openly reported on a consistent basis.
This historic college is host to a couple of well-known ghosts who have an intimate and eternal connection with the establishment.
Indiana Williams, the founder of Sweet Briar, and her daughter are said to still be present on campus in ghostly forms…
Family History And Spooky Beginnings
Indiana Fletcher Williams owned the Sweet Briar plantation which made her a wealthy and respectable woman. The plantation was inherited from her father, a former teacher and advocate of education.
Indiana married Henry James Williams, an Irish immigrant, in 1865. Daisy was born two years later and was raised in a sheltered, pampered lifestyle.
Sadly, Daisy died when she was 16 from an inherited enzyme disorder. Henry passed away a few years later, leaving Indiana a widow and bereaved mother.
Upon Indiana’s death in 1900, she stated that her entire estate was to be turned into a school for women. The estate was comprised of over 8,000 acres and was worth approximately $1 million.
This gesture was intended as a tribute to her young daughter, but other members of the family did not agree with her decision.
These family members fought Indiana’s will and lost. The college was founded one year later. However, before it was officially opened, a good friend of Daisy’s claimed she saw Indiana’s ghost wandering in the dining room several times. Signora stated that Indiana wasn’t talking or interacting, just floating around.
The First Year at Sweet Briar
In its beginnings, Sweet Briar’s campus consisted of four buildings and 50 female students. The Williams’ family grave is located on campus and a special statue was placed over Daisy’s grave.
Apparently, a bitter family member defaced the statue, destroying all but the base. A new statue was erected and it came with a new feature. On a windy day, students can hear the statue “screaming.”
It has been determined that a certain part of the statue’s construction is the cause of the sinister sound. However, this is still accepted as a proper ghost story on campus and students still frequent the screaming statue.
Tucked away in a remote forest with no form of communication, the first graduating class at Sweet Briar had ample sources of inspiration for spooky stories.
These ladies ended up writing a book titled In The Light of Ember which is a collection of accounts of strange and spooky experiences on campus.
An Adolescent Ghost
Students and visitors have been reporting experiences with Daisy’s 16-year-old ghost for over 100 years. Many of these stories feature incidents with the same objects.
For example, an old music box from the Williams family that is out of order is sometimes reported to be playing eerie music.
However, the most commonly repeated story is the echoes of supernatural laughter heard all around the campus.
A former school president had a young daughter who acquired an imaginary friend upon moving into the President’s House on campus.
This house was in fact the home of Indiana, Henry and their daughter. Daisy’s room still contains her original furniture.
Barbara Hill was not concerned about her daughter’s imaginary friend until her daughter informed her that her friend lived in the walls of the house and was named Daisy.
One of the girl’s dormitories holds an off-limits attic. Local police have been called several times to investigate the attic when residents complained about hearing noises up there. The source of these noises was undetectable by the police officers.
The Mystery of the Medallion
Mrs. Martindale was the director of the halls of residence for over 20 years at Sweet Briar and she was a meticulous lady.
One day, she required something from her supply storage on the first floor of the Gray Residence Hall. In addition to her supplies, Mrs. Martindale discovered a framed medallion featuring the bust of Daisy.
Nobody in residence had ever seen or heard about this medallion. It was found on the same day the Daisy Gymnasium was completed, and it ended up being mounted inside the entrance to the gym.
Over 10 years from Signora’s original silent sightings of Indiana, the woman’s ghost appeared to her again. This time Indiana didn’t keep quiet; she told Signora that there was silver stashed in one of the walls in her house.
Signora came to the school’s president with this story and the president had the school’s carpenters break open the wall that Indiana said the silver was in.
To everyone’s surprise, the silver was there, wrapped up in paper packages covered in grime.
The Ghosts of Sweet Briar College
If you have any thoughts or opinions on the subject of the ghosts of Sweet Briar College please leave them in the comment section below.
In these days of enlightenment it is difficult to imagine that until just a few short years ago, public institutions practicing torture, sinister experiments and cruelty existed in our society.
Founded with the best of intentions these places soon became overcrowded and hellish for the people who lived in them.
Many who walked through their doors never left. Secreted away and segregated from society they remained voiceless until death released them from their misery.
Who were these people?
Sadly they were often those who today would be diagnosed with conditions such as autism, epilepsy, and depression.
Born in a period where the science of the mind was in its infancy they were often guinea pigs for harsh and inhuman treatments. Thankfully, society has moved on.
One by one these institutions have closed their doors and their occupants returned to society. For many though salvation came too late. Left behind and forgotten in death, these ghosts of a shameful past cling to the haunted and abandoned insane asylums where they were once incarcerated.
The Ridges Lunatic Asylum, Ohio, USA
Built at the end of the nineteenth century, the first residents in this sprawling institution were veterans of the American Civil War. Although they did not know it, these early occupants were the lucky ones.
By the 1950’s the asylum was terribly overcrowded and no longer concerned with therapeutic approaches to mental illness.
Patients were routinely lobotomized and subjected to electric shock treatments in a bid to cure them. Worse still, the elderly, the rebellious and the unwanted were now accepted into its care for the feeblest of reasons.
Conditions in the asylum were barbaric and hopeless. Visit today and you can still see the legend ‘I was never crazy’ carved into a wall by a desperate inmate.
Now haunted by the ghosts of its past, the Ridges attracts those interested in the paranormal.
One of the most interesting features of the derelict building concerns a patient called Margaret Schilling. In 1978, Margaret somehow locked herself in an abandoned ward.
Removing her clothes and folding them neatly, she lay down upon the freezing floor at the coldest time of the year. Why she didn’t call for help or try and unlock the door, nobody knows.
A month later her body was discovered. If the staff who lost the unfortunate Margaret believed they could now wipe her shameful death from the history of the asylum, they were mistaken.
As she lay on the cold hard floor, Margaret’s body left an indelible stain which no amount of scrubbing will ever wipe clean. The perfect impression of her frail body marks her death for as long as the building stands.
Today though, it is not the building but the nearby cemetery which attracts most attention from ghost hunters. Said to be haunted by soldiers from the civil war, ghostly apparitions can be seen roaming among the gravestones.
Bizarrely, some of these gravestones have been arranged in a perfect circle for no apparent reason. Cross a little wooden bridge to a small island and you find a further cluster of isolated graves.
Rumored to be those of the criminally insane they can’t be buried on consecrated ground. Not surprising then that this cemetery with its unmarked graves, strange arrangements and spectral inhabitants now attracts those interested in witchcraft, demonology and the dark arts.
The Metropolitan State Mental Hospital, Massachussets, USA
Opened in 1930 the Metropolitan State Mental Hospital hides a grisly past. As well as the usual suffering of patients that took place as a matter of course, the hospital is the scene of a notorious murder.
A murder so shocking that it earned the institution the nickname ‘the hospital of the seven teeth’. Free to roam around the extensive grounds, one of the patients Anne Marie Davee decided to go for a walk in 1978.
It was a walk from which she would never return. Sometime later seven teeth were found in the possession of another patient, Melvin Wilson.
Despite suspecting that Wilson had a hand in Ann Marie’s disappearance no action was taken until an investigation by the Massachussets State Senator.
Eventually, Wilson led police to the three sites where he had buried the murdered and dismembered body of Ann Marie.
Walk the beautiful grounds today and you too may get the eerie feeling that someone or something is watching you.
Numerous reports of paranormal activity have been reported by workers in the now derelict building that was once the main asylum.
Shadowy figures are seen to dart and flit about the empty rooms. Locked doors open and then slam shut again. Screams and flashes can be seen from the wards where electro therapy took place.
In a bid to placate the restless souls who wander through the building and surrounding grounds, efforts have been made to identify the 350 former residents buried in unmarked graves.
Sadly there is no evidence that it has worked yet.
Beechworth Lunatic Asylum, Victoria, Australia
Originally named the Mayday Lunatic Asylum, this hospital in Victoria Australia was built in 1867 to house 1,200 patients. Closed in 1995 it has become the focus of paranormal investigators and amateur ghost hunters.
One of the most ubiquitous ghosts that haunts the asylum is Matron Sharpe. Reputed to have been a kind and caring nurse in life, she appears in different rooms and is seen walking down the long granite staircase.
A benign spirit she doesn’t make those who see her uneasy or frightened. Perhaps reluctant to abandon their workplace other former employees still hang around the asylum.
These include Tommy Kennedy a former resident and kitchen hand. Enter his kitchen uninvited and you may feel him poking you and pulling at your clothes.
Another employee, a gardener, still tends the grounds dressed in his old green jacket . He materializes pottering among the flowers and vegetables before disappearing into thin air.
Sadly, the ghost of a child is often seen in the former chapel and is said to approach female visitors. Unable to speak, the poor girl tries desperately to attract the attention of women who appear sympathetic.
One can only imagine this heart breaking child was once abandoned and is still waiting for her mother to return.
Perhaps the most sinister haunting though, is that of a female patient thrown from an upper window by another inmate.
Her ghost is still seen standing on the spot where she fell and giant orbs have been photographed hovering outside the window where she was pushed to her untimely death.
The Rolling Hills Asylum, New York, USA
Built in 1827 to house paupers, drunkards, lunatics, handicapped, orphans, widows, vagrants and murderers’ the Genessee County Poor Farm as it was known, welcomed one and all.
Closed at the end of the twentieth century the former asylum was converted to shops and an antique mall. Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before customers and shopkeepers began to report strange unexplained events.
A nurse wearing an old fashioned uniform was often seen striding purposefully along the corridors. Before she could be approached she would disappear, her footsteps still echoing through the air.
On another occasion a stunned employee of the mall opened a door to see an old man being bathed in a tin bath by the same nurse. Hastily closing the door, she waited a moment or two before peeking again. The room was empty.
As the incidents of disembodied voices, apparitions and shadow people became more frequent, the management of the building decided to call in experts with paranormal experience to perform an investigation.
What followed was a chilling and terrifying encounter with the supernatural.
Recounted by a manager of the current Rolling Hills complex, it took place in the basement of the building in a room once known as the Christmas Room.
Lit only by a pink glow stick, the investigators formed a circle. A small rocking horse and a ball were placed in the middle. During the evening, the glow stick and rocking horse began to move around of their own volition.
Stunned by what they were witnessing the group was further astonished when a hand and arm materialised in thin air and snatched the ball away.
Denbigh Insane Asylum, Wales, United Kingdom
This beautiful Gothic building was built in the 1840’s in North Wales, United Kingdom. Built to accommodate Welsh speakers who did not fare well in English asylums it now lies empty and vandalised in the Denbighshire countryside.
Another building constructed with altruistic intentions, it soon housed not only the mentally ill but pregnant women who had brought shame upon their families, the elderly and embarrassing relatives who needed to be hidden away from acceptable society.
Local superstition suggests that the ground on which the asylum was built was cursed by three witches who lived in the area. The most famous of these witches was Bella Fawr.
Those fascinated by witchcraft still break into the grounds of the asylum to try and invoke the spirits of the three ladies who once weaved their wicked spells and incantations.
Demons and witches have been seen screaming in the old isolation wards and a tunnel leading from the hospital is said to end under the cottage of one of the witches.
With a history that emulates that of most Victorian asylums, it is fair to say that the building has seen its share of suffering and misery.
Today, various ghosts are rumored to roam the area. These include a doctor and lab assistant who are seen in the morgue, two young students who were murdered in the grounds of the asylum and an old lady seen wandering around.
The same old lady has been seen in the little chapel built in the grounds. Witnessed walking through the church by a group performing a seance, her apparition terrified the group so much they never returned.
Pennhurst Asylum, Pennsylvania, USA
The cruel and quite terrifying practices that existed in this asylum went a long way in changing the public’s perception of the insane and their treatment.
Shockingly exposed in the 1960’s it painted a picture of neglect and inhumanity. Entitled ‘Suffer Little Children’ a television expose revealed unacceptable overcrowding and under-staffing.
Patients were tied to beds, high functioning adults were left uneducated and under stimulated and the chemical cosh was used to subdue and control those with behavior problems.
Since its closure a variety of paranormal events have been recorded. Distressed and angry voices have been heard on numerous occasions.
The terrified voices ask visitors why they have come and beg to be left alone in peace. Shadow people including that of a small child move about the empty buildings.
Chairs rock backwards and forward and doors are slammed by unseen hands. Some visitors claim to have been scratched and shoved and objects have been thrown across rooms.
One of the most compelling testimonials comes from a group of three men who witnessed a nurse appear before them. A firefighter, a police officer and a U.S. marine they were hardly the most suggestible of witnesses.
Built with the best of intentions, they became the shame of modern society. Institutions where the mentally ill were treated in the most cruel and inhumane fashion.
Experimented upon, deprived of their rights, neglected and often mistreated, those who entered insane asylums often lived a hopeless and hellish life.
If it is true that hauntings spring from anguish, despair and pain then mental institutions provide a rich breeding ground. Woven into their very fabric is the misery and hopelessness of those who once lived within their walls.
Some were lucky and escaped their atrocious existence, others sadly ended their lives in misery.
Forgotten by society their tortured souls still remain hidden and voiceless, destined to be tied forever to the haunted and abandoned insane asylums where they spent their final days.
Ghost and poltergeist activity are hot topics of debate today, made more so by a flood of movies and television shows. The fascination for the paranormal has been around for a very long time and doesn’t appear to be going anywhere soon.
Every state, and every country for that matter, has famous locations for ghostly sightings, and Alabama is no exception. Here are a few of the real haunted houses in Alabama.
Sweetwater Mansion, designed by General John Brahan (a veteran of the War of 1812) is a plantation house located in Florence, Alabama. Construction began in 1828.
Sweetwater has been a hotbed of reported paranormal activity. The 8 bedroom home was occupied, after completion in 1835, by Robert M. Patton, General Brahan’s son-in-law. The home had been alternately occupied by Confederate and Union Soldiers during the Civil war.
Sweetwater has, famously, been investigated by paranormal investigators featured on A&E’s Paranormal State. Some of the more famous sightings were by, the properties’ former caretaker, Emmer Lettie Region.
On one occasion she witnessed the image of a male laying in a casket in the parlor of the home. He appeared to have a bullet hole in his head. It was later discovered that Billy Patton, son of the former owner, was killed during combat in the Civil War and his wake was held in this same area of the plantation home.
Lettie was the last caretaker of the home and it is said that she had taken to nailing doors shut within the plantation home in order to isolate herself from paranormal activity.
Kenworthy Hall (also known as Carlisle Hall or Carlisle Martin House), is located in Marion, Alabama north of Hwy 14. This is another location that has ties to paranormal activity related to the Civil War.
Kentworthy Hall was constructed in the late 1850’s to early 1860’s by Edward (or Edwin) Kentworthy Carlisle, an established cotton grower in the region.
The hauntings purported at this location are of a young women, seen by passer-bys, sitting at the window on the fourth floor.
This could possibly be Anne Carlisle, daughter of Edward, who is believed to have committed suicide by jumping from the window after discovering that her lover, a soldier in the Confederate Army had died.
Oakleigh Historic House
Oakleigh Historic House in Mobile, Alabama is part of the Oakleigh Historic Complex. There are several buildings that include; The Post Civil War Reconstruction Barracks and a cottage.
Oakleigh house was built in 1833 by a dry goods merchant and brick mason James W. Roper. Poltergeist activity, such as furniture moving on its own and disembodied figures have been seen.
It is also believed to be haunted by a female ghost who has been seen in the parlor of the mansion as well as shadow figures.
Richards DAR House
Richards DAR House (Daughters of the American Revolution) is also located in Mobile, Alabama and has a colorful history of apparitions.
The, now, historic museum house was constructed in 1860 for Charles G. Richards and his wife Caroline Steele. The local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, who now operate the house, have allowed paranormal researchers to conduct investigations.
There has been sounds of disembodied children singing, laughter and other voices within the home. A figure has also appeared in the upstairs bedroom window.
Adams Grove Presbyterian Church
Adams Grove Presbyterian Church is located in rural Dallas County, Alabama and was built in the 1850’s near a cemetery.
Both the, now, neglected church and cemetery have had supposed paranormal activity, including the ghost of a Confederate Soldier.
It is said that the soldier will approach guests and attempt to warn them away from the property.
Haunted Houses in Alabama
All over the country there are homes reported to be haunted and lists of real haunted houses in Alabama can be found readily for would be ghost hunters and paranormal researchers.
There are too many to list in this one piece, but what I find particularly fascinating is that much of the paranormal activity at these locations is associated with the American Civil War.
Not all of the locations above are available to the public as museums. The Adams Grove Presbyterian Church is private property. Always check with the property owners prior to attempting any actual paranormal research at these, or any other location.
The true story behind the 2013 film The Conjuring is that of the well known Perron family. The Perron family haunting started in the winter of 1970 after Roger and Carolyn Perron moved into the home of their dreams.
The home was located on Round Top Road, Harrisville, Rhode Island. Built in 1736, it was a charming country home with ten rooms. It was the perfect choice for Roger and Carolyn to move into with their five young children.
The children, all girls, shared bedrooms in pairs, apart from the eldest Andrea Perron whom had a bedroom all to herself.
The Perron family began to notice something very strange on the very first day in their new home. The previous owner had advised the family to leave the lights on at night, the confused Perrons had no idea why.
Little did they know that they were about to encounter a haunting by the eight generations of tragic families that had previously resided in the Old Arnold Estate.
The generations of family tragedies included that of the late Mrs John Arnold, who hung herself from the rafters of the barn at the old age of 93.
There were several other suicides such as hangings and poisonings and four men mysteriously froze to death on the farmland. In other mysterious circumstances there were two suspicious drownings on the land also.
A farm hand even raped and murdered an eleven year old girl, Prudence Arnold. The amount of tragedy that this farmhouse had encountered was unbelievable.
The demons that the Perron family encountered after the move into their dream home were frightfully scary. The demons were reported to have pulled the girls’ hair and limbs during the night. House rattling bangs on the front door and banging interior doors were a regular occurrence.
The Perron family heard cries throughout the night including one voice that told of seven dead soldiers buried within the walls.
Some of the spirits that they encountered were so evil that the Perron family were unable to share what the demons had done to them.
It was hinted in Andrea Perron’s book about their experiences (House of Darkness, House of Light) that one of the most evil spirits had often molested the five young girls during the night. She avoided thorough questioning about this spirit in the home by merely saying it was a bad male ghost.
Some of the ghosts were thought to be harmless, smelling of flowers, kissing the girls goodnight or playing with toy cars.
One amazing spirit, presumed a female, was welcomed in the home of the Perrons. The apparition would sweep the entire home, leaving neat piles of dirt ready to be put into the trash by the family.
Another ghost that the five girls loved was believed to be the spirit of Johnny Arnold, who had hung himself in the attic of the house during the 1700’s. The girls called him “Manny”, he would watch over them with a comforting smile, in a reassuring manner.
During their time in the house the Perrons also experienced other paranormal activities, such as, levitating beds and other household objects flying around the rooms.
Chairs were reported to be pulled suddenly away from unsuspecting guests as they were about to sit down, whilst paintings and picture frames would crash down from the walls.
It was stated that the most awful demon in the home had targeted Mrs Perron herself. The apparition was said to be the ghost of Bathsheba Sherman, who was known to be a practicing Satanist.
Deemed to be a witch Bathsheba had hung herself during the early 19th century behind the barn. It was alleged that Bathsheba was able to terrorize Mrs Perron because she was not religious and weak of faith.
This theory was confirmed when it was found that a local minister had been able to reside in the Old Arnold Estate with no sightings or unusual occurrences at all.
Bathsheba was a terrifying apparition, described as being covered in cobwebs and vermin with a visibly broken neck. Her presence was always followed by an evil stench.
Carolyn Perron was terrorized by the ghost of Bathsheba, she was slapped, pinched and taunted with lit torches. It was even believed that Carolyn became possessed with the spirit of Bathsheba.
Attacks on Carolyn Perron became increasingly more harsh until the Perrons decided to enlist the help of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.
Ed and Lorraine Warren
Mr And Mrs Warren had helped to investigate haunting and possessions around the country. They had even been able to convince the Vatican to provide exorcisms in extreme cases.
The Perrons had heard of the Warrens at one of their many public appearances. After assessing Carolyn Perron, Ed and Lorraine believed it to be true that Bathsheba had physically possessed her.
They decided to exercise the demon.
Andrea Perron documented the night that the exorcism took place that it was their most terrifying night of all, watching her mother be thrown twenty feet into another room by the evil apparition.
Although the Warrens were able to help on that frightful night, it was alleged that things became increasingly worse after the exorcism.
The Perron Flee to Safety
During their plight the Perrons had learned about the past occupants’ reports of supernatural phenomena on the Old Arnold Estate.
They realized that it was time to leave but financial constraints held them at their haunted home for ten long years.
Finally in 1980 they had enough money to flee to Georgia. It is said that the current owners of the home, Norma and Gerry Sutcliffe, have also experienced haunting paranormal activity in the farmhouse, but none quite as terrifying as that of the Perron family haunting.
In San Jose, California, stands one of the most famous haunted houses in America – Winchester House.
It’s paranormal activity has now propelled it’s status to a modern ghost hunting landmark – it also runs daily public tours for ghost-hungry visitors!
In this article we will be taking a look at the Winchester House hauntings that put this paranormal attraction on the map…
Sarah Winchester was the sole heiress to the Winchester Rifle fortune. Her story was a tragic one as she had lost her daughter ( Annie ) and husband ( John ) in quick succession.
Suffering from the dark grief of the ones she lost she decided to pack up her New Haven home and move to California.
Just before she left she decided to visit a local medium to get some sort of closure on her lost family members.
The medium informed her that her daughter and husband had died because of a curse linked to her family. The curse was down to the amount of people killed at the barrel end of a Winchester rifle.
She was told that she must set up this new house in California in an attempt to house all of the spirits that were making up this strange curse.
She duly obliged…
Unfortunately the medium also included a catch to this spirit house plan. Sarah was told that if she ever stopped working on this new Californian house the spirits would turn on her and take her life.
Sarah didn’t mess about – as soon as she got to California she began work on this new building for herself and the spirits.
She lived at the site when the house was being built and continued to summon the spirits on a daily basis ( including her husband ).
She had a bell tower added and would ring it to summon the spirits at night, and ring it again to dismiss them.
There was a summoning room built into the center of the house but only Sarah herself was ever allowed to go in there.
Locals began to question the sanity of Sarah due to the rather strange look and feel of the house. Windows seemed to be built linked directly to doors along with numerous house staircases with 13 steps each.
A large majority of these 13 step staircases led straight up to the ceilings in the house…and nobody knew why?
Eventually Sarah revealed that these strange home designs were put in place to confuse the evil spirits that had once used a Winchester gun to kill.
Unfortunately she never really explained her fascination with the number 13…
The steps totaling 13, the 13th bathroom having 13 windows, 13 drain holes in the kitchen sink, most windows had 13 panes of glass, there were 13 cupolas in the greenhouse and the walls had 13 panes!
The Winchester House Hauntings
There have been a number of strange events reported at the Winchester House for many years and they continue to be reported today.
Numerous psychics have visited the impressive building and all of them seem to believe that the summoned spirits still reside in certain rooms.
New paranormal reports seemed to surface when the house was eventually opened up to the public. Footsteps; banging doors; mysterious voices; smashed windows; cold areas in rooms; floating lights and doors that seem to open and slam shut by themselves.
There have even been reports of Sarah’s ghostly figure walking down the various twisted stairwells within the house…
If you have any thoughts are opinions on the subject we have covered here today, please leave them in the comment section below.
If you follow the ghost programs on TV, you have most likely heard of the Eastern State Penitentiary Ghosts. Opened in 1829, Eastern State Penitentiary was the first proper holding facility for criminals. It was built to serve as a guide to over 300 future prisons, and is considered a revolutionary development at that time.
Before, criminals were held in makeshift pens where there were no proper cells and mistreatment is rife. The penitentiary took a sharp departure from corporal punishment, giving inmates instead the light from heaven, honest work, and the word of God, to guide them towards penitence, or remorse.
Hence, the idea behind its conception was to serve as a place where criminals can seek god for themselves and hence undergo self-reform.
Each cell was designed to have its own exercise station and food door to cut off any source of social interaction, and prisoners are expected to wear a hood when moving around the facility.
However, the years of complete isolation, initially believed to elicit feelings of regret, instead led prisoners spiraling down towards insanity. Soon after its closure, the penitentiary would go on to become known as one of the most haunted buildings in America.
The stone-walled structure’s cold, utilitarian exterior belies a darker truth. Within its chambers, many a prisoner has been subjected to tormentation harsh enough to drive any reasonable man insane.
On a famous punishment device known as “the mad chair”, prisoners who went insane (which is not uncommon) were strapped with excruciating tightness and forced to sit for days. Circulation to their limbs were severely impeded to the point of needing amputations.
In another punishment coined the “Iron Gag”, prisoners’ hands were tied behind their backs in an unnatural position, with a lead from their hands to a clamp on their tongues. As you might have imagined, the slightest movement will cause the tongue to tear and bleed.
Later, to cope with misbehaving prisoners, “The Hole” was introduced. It refers to a hole dug in the ground, where prisoners are left with little air and near zero light.
The origins of these punishments are unconfirmed, but it is often said that the staff were the inventors of the torture techniques.
Due to misbehaving inmates, they resorted to using brute force to demand compliance and enforce discipline. This led to the ethically questionable practiced which has been described as similar to “burying the inmates alive” by Charles Dickens, when he visited the compound.
With punishments akin to burying the inmates alive, it is no wonder that the site soon became a place famous for its ghosts.
Many tourists and tour guides have reported sounds of weeping and whispering. More specifically, Cellblock 12 has laughter and voices Cellblock 6 has seen unidentified shadows and Cellblock 4 is said to produce ghost-like faces.
One particularly well known incident was that of Gary Johnson’s recount. As a locksmith, he would show up whenever a lock needs servicing, even without prior contact.
Once, while he was working on a lock of the extreme right cell in Cellblock 4, he was overcome strongly by an unknown force, and saw faces and shadows darting about. The cell is also the place where a guard was murdered.
In another incident, a shadow figure was caught on tape during the filming of Ghost Hunters. Where it was filmed at the “catwalk area”, many have reportedly captured strong EVPs, or electronic voice phenomenon, and felt quick temperature changes.
This has now become a popular spot for ghost hunters and paranormal investigators due to the likeliness of registering EVPs at the area. Cellblock 12, a restricted area, is constantly brought up as an area where true haunting events are common.
Among the seventy-thousand or so who were imprisoned there, a few notable prisoners stand out. Leo Callahan was the only prisoner ever to escape its stone-walled confines, using a makeshift ladder. After vaulting over the East wall, he went missing and has not been recaptured since.
Another inmate, Joe Buzzard, made himself known as the youngest among all five brothers who have served at the prison. He was convicted for horse theft.
Alphonse Capone, a well-heeled inmate who lived in the Penitentiary for 8 months, claims that he is constantly tortured by James Clark.
Al Capone was convicted for concealing a lethal weapon, and was given a luxury cell for his social status. The cell is well furnished and decorated. Al Capone would scream every night at James, who was killed during the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. The tormentation is believed to arise from the rivalry between Capone and James’ brother-in-law.
Whether the Eastern State Penitentiary ghosts exist is ambiguous. Many visitors who have passed by its ground reported sensations of being watched and various ghostly noises. Several staff members at the Penitentiary, which is now a museum, have also admitted to experiencing paranormal behaviour.
But at the same time, many visitors have claimed otherwise, and even the non-profit organisation backing it sees it as a haunted “attraction”.
Today, haunted house events have been held there, and several cells have been made into a museum. Ghost tours by experienced guided are available as well. For historians and researchers, this is one of the most architecturally and historical significant locations and is well worth a look.