Eyam village, also known as ‘The Plague Village’, was hit hard by the infamous worldwide disease in 1665. The medical condition swept through the small location and ravaged numerous lives, leaving lost souls and confused spirits in it’s wake…
The Plague Village
The plague hit the village in 1665 when a local tailor took a delivery of some materials from a London supplier. The tailor opened the packaging without realising that it was full of disease-carrying fleas.
Within one week from receiving the parcel, the tailor was dead and by the end of September, five more people died.
Twenty more locals died throughout the month of October.
The village slipped into a senseless panic – maybe they should evacuate to a nearby city?
Unfortunately, the locals realised that this would not be possible – they would only end up spreading the plague further.
The villagers eventually agreed to quarantine and cut themselves off from the rest of civilization…even if it meant certain death for them.
The surrounding villages and hamlets came together in an attempt to help the doomed villagers of Eyam. They rounded up food and necessities and left them on the outskirts of the village.
The villagers of Eyam would show their appreciation by leaving money in a row of vinegar-filled troughs – they believed that the vinegar would sterilize the coins and make them safe for the outsiders to use.
The Plague rotted it’s way through the village for the next 18 months, according to the local church records 273 people lost their lives over this period.
Only 83 villagers managed to survive the deadly disease.
The Eyam Village Plague Ghosts
Due to the high number of plague deaths in a short period of time – there have since been many sightings of ghosts and paranormal activity in the area.
One of the most haunted buildings in the village is The Miner’s Arms. Visitors have often reported the sound of footsteps through their bedrooms along with invisible ‘presences’ in the night.
Numerous families have simply packed up and left the building in the middle of the night – too petrified to wait until morning!
The ‘plagued cottages’ area of the village is home to the pleasant faced lady who wears a blue smock – she is reported to awaken people in the middle of the night.
Eyam Hall was constructed in the village between 1671 and 1676 and ended up being the home of the Wright family.
The ghost of Sarah Mills is said to haunt the hall – a young servant who drowned in the well.
On the top floor of Eyam Hall is a room that is always kept under lock and key. There have been so many paranormal reports linked to this room that the owners have decided to keep it closed off…to everyone.
If you have any thoughts or opinions on the Eyam Village Plague Ghosts, please leave them in the comment section below.